Sunday, February 13, 2005

Friday 2/11/2005 -- Project Rain Bike Rebuild Day 2

There are a number of goals behind project rain bike rebuild first and foremost is to increase my comfort on the bike. On extended training sessions my back has been becoming quite sore. The plan is to mirror the fit of my comfy ultra race bike, and this means brining the bars up a little. The end result should be two bikes with a fit as identical as possible. The second goal is to lighten up the bike a little. This isn't a huge priority, but since the rain bike dates back to the days of threaded 1 inch forks (ok so this really wasn't all that long ago but), switching to a modern thread less system should easily accomplish this.

Yesterday I had pretty much taken it all apart and cleaned everything. But I had reached a point where I needed a special tool to pop the old threaded headset and press in the new thread less one. On my way home from work I stopped off at shop, where they quickly did the service and I picked up a couple of extra spacers.

On getting back home I entered my apartment to my phone ringing, it was my good friend Kyle, well the gang was gathering for Thai Food. After Thai, I excused myself from the evening activities getting big L for LAMEO, but I still had to get the bike back together and the plan for tomorrows ride was to be on the road by 7:30, so turning in a little early wouldn't be a bad thing either..

You would think, rebuilding a bike wouldn't take that long, well doing it right does, at least for me. At 3:30AM the bike was done, food for tomorrows ride was laid out, and the alarm had been set for 6:45 AM. Why, oh why did I say I would be at the rendezvous point at 8:00AM??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home