Saturday, February 05, 2005

2/5/2005 -- Breaking the Chain..

All right so today's been well just a little mess. I got up with the intention of meeting up with a friend and putting in a nice easy century, but well that didn't happen. Some how, I didn't get out the door till 8:40, which made me 10 minutes late for the rendezvous and alas after waiting another 10 minutes I decided I needed to make the best of it and go on my own.

At that point, I started to head up the lake; my plan was to head out towards the Carnation and Snoqualmie Falls. I road the Burk up north and hopped off by the Red Hook brewery and started to climb Hollywood hill, yeah I agree the name is lame just be glad you don't live there. The climb is rather steep and just as I was cresting the climb. SNAP went my chain. I ride a 10 speed wipperman. The wipperman chain is the kind of chain you can take apart with a regular chain tool but can only be re-connected via special connecting links. I figured that I'd broken the connecting link. Well it turned out I hadn’t. I'd snapped one of the regular links. Then to my horror, I noticed that on two other links the plate on one side had cracks running down from the pins. With that I decided that it was a good time to turn the bike around and just try to get back home before I snapped the rest of my chain. I got back with out further incident. Actual ride time ~3.5 hours.

On getting back to the apartment, I grabbed some lunch, and then headed over to Aurora Cycle, the bike shop sponsor for my USCF team, to pickup a new wipperman chain.

Not feeling like I'd really ridden enough, I hooked the Computrainer up this evening and started to ride the first leg of the RAO course George posted a couple of weeks ago. I ended up riding another ~2 hours 20 minutes (I only road part of the first leg). I split the ride in half; I did the first hour and twenty minutes, then stopped for dinner, and then did another hour.

Today, worked out to ~5+ hours on the power cranks. Not quite the century I was thinking of, but still not too bad. For recovery, I took some hammer whey, and TR.. After posting this I'll do a few stretches and then hit the sack.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home