Monday, January 31, 2005

1/30/2005 -- Sunday, more miles..

The plan today was to head north and ride one of the staple Aurora routes, keep the intensity moderate to low for a few hours. Sunday, was my day to sleep in, so after a really lazy breakfast of popovers, Ben and I met up a little after 11:00 for the ride.

After just a few miles, I stopped to do a preventive brush of my tires to remove any pieces of glass that might have become logged on the tires. On doing this I noticed a huge gash in my new rear tire! It looked like I'd ridden right across a piece of steal. This isn't what you want to see at the beginning of a long ride, for it forecasts flats. Five miles down the road, I found myself on the side of the road fixing my rear wheel, luckily after fixing it, I remained flat free for the rest of the ride. Last year while riding through the Indian reservation on the third day of the three day RAO training camp while brushing my tires I found a piece of steal wire in my tire. It had not yet worked its way through; the moral is brushing early and often pays off.

Once back on the road we road up the Burk to the north end, before pealing off to ride a loop through Everett. We climbed over the hills which separate Seattle from the Snohomish valley and on entering the valley, I tried to up my pace, I'd been keeping my heart rate low ~130 BPM, in the valley I tried to raise it to ~150 BPM. I'm not sure exactly why, but it was real struggle.

I think part of the difficult was due to some of the back pain, I've been getting from my rain/winter bike. Once, I raise my handle bars to mirror the height of my ultra bike I expect this pain to disappear.

The return from the valley seemed to go quite quickly and right at the end of the ride, I had a very strong climb up the final hill of the day.

The ride excluding the time spent fixing the flat the ride worked out to be 4.5 - 5 hours with a average over 17 mph. Not to shabby fine for the end of January, but also something which must be boosted by June, thank goodness there are still a few months left.

Post Ride Recover: Hammer Whey and Hammer TR, and Raised Legs..

Thanks for reading!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home