Wednesday, February 23, 2005

2/22/2005 -- Rolling On

I ended up getting back from work today a little later then I would have liked, some how I just got stuck there. On the upside by the time I was on the road, traffic was non existent so it only took 30 minutes to get home. The plan after dinner (leftovers) was to put in some decent time on the rollers with power cranks.

I started riding the rollers watching the end of a flakey action DVD movie. About 10 minutes into the movie my brother John called. We had a great conversation; John's currently down in Ashland Oregon study marketing/business and seems to be having a total blast. I find being able to ride the rollers a no-handed makes talking on the phone and riding really easy.

After getting off the phone, I road to the evenings PBS Frontline episode, A Company of Soldiers in which an imbedded journalist follows “dog company” in Iraq for a month. In my opinion, Frontline episodes are by far the best thing on television, they provided in-depth insight into issues that no other TV journalism even comes close to approaching. In this episode a team of journalists showed what it was like to be on the ground in Iraq. Almost daily, we hear of soldiers getting wounded/killed but the whole concept seems quite abstract. When presented on TV, the utter insanity of situation was extremely powerful. As in all conflicts, soldiers use slang to dehumanize the opposition. I was very surprised and troubled that the United States soldier’s consistently called the insurgents as “Indians”. With the United States Government and particularly the US Army’s past history of genocide with the Native American community, I found this nonchalant racism to be extremely troubling.

After Frontline, I switched back to the DVD, and finished the movie. All and all it was just a little over three solid hours on the rollers, nothing too hard, just some good old fashion spinning.
For recovery I did a few crunches, a little stretching, took some TR, and passed out..

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home