Tuesday, February 15, 2005

2/14/2005 -- Calling out the Crew

So far I've been sorta hogging all the attention but the rider is hardly the end all when it comes to racing ultras. A skilled crew is critical to success. In some ways the crew has a much harder job, I just need to ride my bike, the crew will monitor my fuel intake, course, progress, solve problems as they arise, and above all agree on what radio station to listen to and who's going to free the bear in Mitchel. So, without further ado, here is the crew:

(Crew Chief) Ben Larson: I really can't believe it, but Ben's willing to command the party wagon, filled with my relatives through some of the most remote regions in Oregon. Ben and I have been riding together for a number of years and this coming summer after RAO are gunning for a two man entry at Fireweed. Ben has a very impressive race resume in his own right racing for the UW, at California doubles with a commanding finish this last year at Terrible Two. When not on the bike, Ben is world class canoeist and takes annual paddling expeditions through the Canadian outback.

(Mom) Cathey Philbrick aka the Deutche Frau: Ok, so I want to apologize right here to Terri and George, for including my Mom in the crew! No one will get away with anything when she's on duty, much less me. I can just hear it now, go back and ride bake oven again, you didn't do it right! I half expect to hear my mom at some point counting cadence with a whistle as I climb timberline. In all seriousness she is an accomplished marathoner, and teaches high school art at McNary, in Keizer OR and the last two years has been selected nationally for Fulbright scholarships to Turkey and Japan.

(Dad) David Philbrick: Wood worker extraordinaire, if the bike breaks down and we need to reconstruct a new one out of tumbleweed and log pole pine my dads the man for the job. Seriously, he's one of the most diverse athletes on the team, being an accomplished in crew (rowing), tennis player, cyclist, recreational swimmer and runner. Of everyone else in the family, my dad's kept pace with me on our annual STP bike rides, were both currently tied at 10 only missing one year each. If you’re out in the backcountry in California next summer in John Mure country, don’t be too surprised if you see him trekking down the trail.

Uncle Larry Phibrick: When not crewing Larry, is a nationally ranked masters swimmer currently holding a number of national masters swim records. When not in the pool, Larry teaches science and math at Judson Junior High in Salem OR. Larry is the one who introduced me to ultras. I first learned of RAAM from him while riding the monster cookie and was introduced to the California double scene by stories he had of the Davis Double.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home