Sunday, January 23, 2005

1/14/2005 - Party Time

Today, a bunch of us all gathered at the "Team Shark HQ", to celebrate Terri's contribution and achievements in ultra cycling. Over the last month or so, George had been secretly sending off emails and planning the event. At the party, there were lots of RAO veterans and a few of us rookies too. Between glasses of Martinelli's (I've now sworn off all alcohol for RAO), I bounced training ideas off of the veterans (Gregg, The Sharks, George, Terri, etc). The two things I took away from all this were: I should cut back my intensity just a tad so I peak at the right time, and a strategy concerning pull lengths for my two man team at the Fireweed 400.

It was quite fun to be able to meet the Llamas, right now I'm afraid, the whole "candy" thing is nothing more then a facade, for I think they are really hard candy inside.

As a side note: I wore my kilt (family tartan) to the party. And through the night the burning question on every ones mind seemed to be not how was your training going etc, but "Do you ride in it?” and “What’s under the kilt?". Well the answer to the first should be obvious, no. Bicycles might have been invented by the Scots, but kilts and bicycles don’t mix too well. And my answer to the second question should be just as obvious. What do you think? There is really only one way to wear a kilt.

BTW: The sharks have the most magnificent bike room I've ever seen. Its not so much a "bike room" as a temple to two wheels. Every cyclist should some day make a pilgrimage to this room, just to know of its existence is an honor much less to actually have set foot inside of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home