Wednesday, January 05, 2005

1/4/2005 -- Gym

Lifted weights after work today, all core body lifts: sit-ups, back lifts, rows, etc. I don't do a lot of leg lifts for two reasons, first I don't think there is much to be gained by doing macho leg presses other then bum knees, and second when it comes to leg power I prefer to develop that on the bike.

One note on weight lifting, I think most people don’t do enough reps. When you talk to most gym people they talk about doing 10 or 15 reps per set. Low reps are great if you want to become a “BIG” poser like Arnold. But if you want power over size then you should think about longer sets. In Joe Friel’s training guide he talks about sets 3 sets of 20 – 30 reps , so no surprise when I’m in the gym I do 3 sets of 30 reps for everything but the sit-ups and there I do 50.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • Interesting about the number of reps. Our coach is having us do reps of 15-12-8 increasing weight each time. Except for bench presses, which he has us do light , with fast multiple (25-30) reps - for just the reason you say, to build strength without bulk. Ken

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home