Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Change of Venue

This will be new news to some, and old news to others. In September I’m going to be moving from Seattle, WA to Corvallis, OR, to start a Masters in Bio-Mechanics at Oregon State University. I’m really excited about the change. After right around nine years in Seattle I’m excited about getting to know a new community, returning to Oregon, and university life.

This last week end I was down for the final NWTTS race, then it was out to Corvallis to find an apartment. It turned out that Sunday, isn't the best day to go apartments hunting in Corvallis, for 99.9% of the apartments are only viewable M-F. That said the day wasn't a total loss as I was able to scope out a number of possibilities, get a feel for the neighborhoods etc. Then on Monday, I was back at work made some phone calls, and my parents (Super Crew), went back down to actually view the apartments, and found a place that was close to the university, and seemed good over all, so I just phoned up the manager and took it.

Now physically moving my stuff, bikes, jerseys, bikes, pasta, bikes, has all gotten a little more complicated. I had thought, I'll just rent a U-haul, pack my stuff up and drive it south. Well, that whole plan seemed good till I looked into the rental rates, the vehicles rent for around $30 a day, and then charge around $1.00 a a mile, on top of gas! Making a round trip rental from Seattle, well over $500.00! Going one way, is over $400. This option wasn't going to work. I looked at the trailers. Some of the U-haul Trailers are huge, and rent for a flat rate of $30.00 a day, with no mileage charge. Just by chance my parents just purchased a new van with a toe hitch, since they were more then willing to help me move this was a much better option. Renting the trailer one way from Seattle -> Salem, worked out to $180 thus, the best option was to round trip the trailer from Salem, renting it for two days for a total of $60.00.

I can't thank my friends, Senior Sheppard, and Miss Chelan Kelley* HCM, for offering to come over and help fill the trailer Saturday morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home