Monday, April 18, 2005

Friday, Powercranks & Rollers

I ended up getting home from work much later then I had planned, after taking care of dinner and what not, it was kind of late. But since, tomorrows the weekend, I was free to ride the rollers all night long. So a little after, NOW on PBS, I was spinning away on the rollers. For some reason and I don't know why but after getting back from PAC tour, my bike saddle, stelle italia flight, on my rain ride indoor power crank bike just hasn't melded well with me. So every now and then, I would take a brief break from pedaling to give my rear a rest.
Total time on the bike right around 3hrs.

The Saddle Story:
Last year, while perusing bike parts at Gregg's one of the shop guys introduced me to the Carbon Fizik Alante. The saddle seemed kind of pricy, but then I thought, what the hell. Well it was love at first contact. As far as my rear was concerned it was nearly the perfect saddle. My only gripe being it was a tad short. Flash forward around a year. The padding in the back of the saddle was starting to wear thin and the screws holding the scuff guards on were starting to poke through. It was time to replace it, and lucky me I had an identical new one gathering dust in drawer. I had purchased it through my USCF teams sponsor deal; it was just waiting on hold as a backup part.

The new saddle felt was a huge improvement with better, firmer, foam. After a few weeks in Seattle, I flew down to AZ to ride the PAC tour and on the final day of the tour snapped the carbon rails on both sides of the new saddle! I limped into the next rest stop a few miles down the road where I made a emergency repair, binding the broken rails together with layer after layer of electricians tape. Thankfully the saddle held together for the next 140+ miles of the tour. On getting back to Seattle, new and busted got taken back to the shop and old broken in came out for another round.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home