Monday, November 14, 2005

Hold, Hold, Hold

This quarter, I've been taking courses in Statistics, Statics, and Anatomy. I'm finding them all fascinating. When my advisor told me I was going to be taking some Anatomy, I thought it would be mostly memorization, (the clavicle and the scapula connect at the acromion). Well, indeed the course has been very much that but it has also contained a very nice dose of basic physiology. I'm finding the physiology aspect particularly intriguing as it both explains and suggests things that I can do on the bike to kick it just a little faster.

First on the list of things from physiology I wanted to share was some inside info on isometric contractions. Isometric contractions are muscular contractions which involve no external movement of the appendages. When you plant your feet firmly and push against a wall you perform an isometric contraction, when you carry your groceries your arms perform isometric contractions; they don't move, but the muscles do contract. Well, during an isometric contraction your muscles obviously do perform work but since there is no external movement, the muscle forces get redirected entirely internally and pull against the tendons and other connective tissue. Here is the real kicker, when released, the loaded tension in the connective tissue, tendons etc, will accelerate the limbs faster then what is normally be experienced under a muscular contractions. So, next time your on the TT starting line go ahead and load the legs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home