Monday, June 27, 2005

Less then 2 weeks till Fireweed!

All right, it’s hard to believe but there is less the two weeks left till Ben, my parents, and I head to Alaska for the Fireweed 400! Since RAO, I’ve been feeling like I’ve been racing my body trying to recover and get prepared for Fireweed. The first week end I did some intensity but no huge miles, then last weekend I did the third NWTTS time trial, so this weekend it was time to get out and turn the cranks a little. On Saturday, I road out to Maple Valley, did a little cyclo-cross through a construction sight and finished the ride going around the north end of the lake, total miles 94, average speed 18.4. Then yesterday I went out and road around the north end of the lake and then out to carnation via Woodenvill, from Carnation out to Snoqualmie falls and then back via may valley and around the south end. Total miles, 107, average speed 19.4. Any concern I had about fitness for fireweed is all but melted away. Total weekend miles: 201

This weekend was a huge weekend for Ben, who flew down to Santa Rosa to lay some serious smack down tartan style at the Terrible Two. For those of you who haven’t yet experienced the Terrible Two, you must at least once. The Terrible Two, is EPIC, it starts in Santa Rosa, then climbs over to Napa Valley, then Calistoga, then out to the cost and back to Santa Rosa. All and all, the Terrible Two climbs roughly 16,000ft in 200 miles, many of the climbs are well over 12%, and it can be hot too, temperatures well over 100oF are all to common. Ben’s weekend miles, 211! Yeah, I’m the wimpy rider this weekend.

Ben had originally planned to taper into T2, but with its proximity to Fireweed his strategy changed, and T2 became a training race instead of a targeted race. On Sunday Ben called in to report back. And from what I heard given his total lack of tapering, he laid some serious smack down finishing in the top 30!

BTW, Stay tuned for the Team Tartan RAO race write up! Its on its way and should be posted any day now..

It’s Tartan Time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home