Sunday, June 19, 2005

3rd Race in the Northwest Time Trial Series.

First off I want to say that I’m still working my tail off to write up my win at RAO two weeks ago. With 538.9 miles of pure racing the write-up is taking awhile to piece together. Anyway stay tuned it should be out some time this next week.

But until then, I thought I’d fill you all in on the 30K TT I did yesterday.

June, 18th, 3rd Race in the Northwest Time Trial Series.
The secret location of this months TT, The Dalles (should be pronounced like “The Bears” from SNL). Anyway back to the TT. With a 10:20ish start, I’d driven out to the day before and was at the course well rested a few hours before the start. I keep fine tuning what exactly I’ll eat before a morning TT, I find I really can’t eat much. Today’s breakfast 3 hrs before my start, triple non-fat late, 2 bananas, 1 yogurt, and 1 Odwalla super food drink. In hind sight I would skip the yogurt next time.

The weather was great; I made some slight adjustments to the bike, pumped the zipps up to 160 psi, and set out to preview the course sucking down some Cytomax. I was going to be the last 4/5 rider to go and the promoters had given me race number “01”, was this by chance, or was this a omen of things to come. Ten min before my start I did a red bull, drenched my head with water, and went over to the line and did some stretching.

We were doing 30 second starts. On the starting line, the promoter, George, said clip in, I went to do so, and threw my chain on the line. George said, “Keep it cool, you got time”. I remounted the chain, what a crappy way to loose a few seconds, was on the bike clipped in, George held me, 5, 4, 3, 2 GO! George yelled “Haggis at the finish”! And I was off!

Off the line my heart rate didn’t quite spike up like it has in the past, I think it was the good warm up I done. I settled down and started the groove. I caught, the first two riders at the 1 km mark, then the next two a little after that, and so on. I found that I could cruse quite comfortably with my heart rate in the high 170’s, 177 etc.. But when I hit 180bmp I would go quite anaerobic and just die. It was weird, it wasn’t quite the depth of pain that I’d ridden to in past TT’s, the tachometer on my motor was just topping out at 180. Anyway, back to the race. The course rolled over a series of climbs for the first 10 miles, then climbed up a steep clicker at mile 12, before plummeting back down and to a creek bed, and rolling in to the finish a few miles later. Unlike past TT venues which follow an out and back course, this one was a loop. I caught the next rider up, and the one after that. I think I ended up catching most if not all of the 4/5 field.

Anyway, final results, I snagged the top spot in the 4/5’s by 1 min, 31 seconds, with a time of 48 min 7 seconds..

Its Tartan Time!

Results: http://www.nwtts.com/results605.htm

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home