Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Weight Frustrations

So today I got my body composition analyzed by the cool kids over in the physiology lab and wow do I feel like a fatty. The measurement device was the bod pod, basically it's a combination of fancy formulas, air displacement, lung volume, weight, and height. The testing protocol requires subjects to abstain from eating and exercise for 2 hours prior to the testing protocol. The devices is considered to have a standard deviation of approximately 2% body fat, which is about half what calipers provide, and a little greater then hydrostatic weighing.

On to the numbers:
  • Height 6' 2" – No surprise here..
  • At 10:45 AM I weighted in at 175.5 lbs ( last meal/fluid was dinner the night before)
  • Calculated Total Lean Weight – 147.1 lbs - 83.8%
  • Calculated Fat Weight - 28.4 lbs - 16.2%
One standard deviation for the measurement device is 2% body fat so with a 68% confidence my true % body fat falls some where between 14.2% and 18.2%. Aka I'm a fatty.

In all seriousness I've been feeling good about my power and weight, but, after this I'm not so sure. Ideally I'd like my body fat to be somewhere between 12 and 10%. I would feel much better if my bod pod results had come back 4% lower.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home