Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Saturday/Sunday/Monday

Saturday, Hill Repeats!

The plan for Saturday was to head out to the San Juans and cycle around Orcas Island with the focus of the day being hill repeats up Mt Constitution. Orca is a hilly, and Mt Constitution rises another 2,000+ ft from Moran State Park in the middle of Orcas.

The plan had been for me to pick Ben up from his place, at 7:45, but I was operating on “Kenneth time”, and was running a tad late. I was over at the Larsonator’s apartment 20 minutes late. Ben wasn’t too optimistic that we would make the ferry, but it was at least worth a shot. For the next hour and half, I tried as hard as I could to remove as much empty space between the bottom of the gas pedal and the floor of my VW Jetta. The ferry karma was flying high, as we arrived at the dock just as they were calling out the final boarding, and were the last car to squeeze on.

On the Island, we started out doing a relaxed warmup just toddling around the Island. There was a slight disagreement as to if golf courses were a waste of space. Ben said yes, I said, watch it, who’s ancestors invented the boring crappy game. Go Scotts!
The warm-up ended and we were at the base of Constitution. The game plan was 3 repeats of a 2,000+ foot climb. First time up, not bad, second time ugh, third time this hurts! On the final assent, right near the top I some how succeeded in blowing out a side wall of a perfectly good tire, tire booted, new inner tube in, and back at the ferry for a trip home..

Miles today, low 70 or so but the climbing - way good!

Sunday, Maple Valley + Cougar + south end of Lake Washington

The weather improved and Sunday was just amazing. Road out to Maple Valley, the legs were still a little sore from the climbing the day before but some how that didn’t stop us from constantly attacking one another. My wheels in front no my wheel’s in front. Ben had to come straight back due to job constraints so at the base of Cougar mountain we diverged, he headed back, and I headed up.. Wow Cougar hurt, I really need to get my compact crank on ASAP, my 39/25 just wasn’t big enough. I had a good decent down the other side and was heading back up north, when right near the end of my ride I ran into a friend out doing some running to train for her up coming Iron Man/Woman/Person. Rhea looked really good, and shared with me a new fuel source the pro Iron People are using, Gatorade Shakes, yeah, I hadn’t heard of them either. It a product very similar to ensure+ with a tad more carbs and runs about 360 calories per can.

Recovery:

On getting home, I did my customary whey, e-caps, and then got a massage.

Monday, - Lifted Weights – I hate the weights.. But I do think they are important..

It’s Tartan Time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home